It is with great sadness that we note the passing of Paul O'Connor. Wonderful musician and great person.
A part of 45north from the start and he will be greatly missed.
We are 45north - Paul, bass - Jean, trumpet - Paul, keys - Ralph, sax - Bill , drums
and, in case you're wondering how we got the band name, scroll to the bottom...
01 Little Sunflower excerpt.mp3
Until recently I have also been baritone sax in the nonet 'Alternate Takes' and we released our 2nd CD at our concert at Merrickville's Jazz Fest in Oct 2018 - the tune above is an excerpt from the first track on that CD, Little Sunflower
You can purchase copies of Alternate Takes CD 'Urban Flower' at the Alternate Takes web site
- recordings of 45north below -
45north band is a 5-piece band - trumpet, sax, piano, bass and drums. We perform a varied repertoire of great jazz tunes, many by Canadian artists. Our arrangements are done by us, Jean Trudel has done many, or by others specifically for 45north. For Canada's 150th celebrations in 2017 we added a group of tunes to our repertoire that were non-jazz tunes but all by Canadians. We have now reverted back to our all jazz repertoire, a short list is below, and we are now adding a number or original tunes as well as we continue to refine our book. Our tunes tend to be lyrical and melody driven and thus accessible both to jazz audiences and non-jazz audiences alike.
Contact Ralph Hopper for booking information or inquiries: email phone: 613-833-3509 - cell: 613-882-8464
45north is: Ralph Hopper, saxes; Jean Trudel, trumpet/flugel; Paul O'Connor, keyboards; Paul Soble, bass; Bill Brown, drums
A sample listing of tunes by Canadian artists that form the core of our repertoire:
- Dissfunktion by Manteca
- Honeydew Harbour by David Restivo [Toronto]
- Fissure, Mistaken Convergence and Other Fascination by Nick MacLean [Snaggle - Toronto]
- Cowboy Bebop and The Work Song by David Braid [Toronto]
- Stanstill and Sonny's Way by Mike Murley [Toronto]
- Blue Jeans and LeBreton Flats by Rob Lussier [Ottawa]
- Blue Jade by Joe Sealy [Toronto]
- Intrada by Alan Matheson [Vancouver]
- Jazz Dance by Paul Novotny [Toronto]
- In The Blues Garden and Sundown Comin' and Swamp Gator Crawl by Bill King [Toronto]
- Search Warrant and Mr. Hitchens by Cameron Wallis - Montreal Hard Bop 5
- Signal to Noise and Dimpled Chad by Jean Trudel
- Eight By Eight and Green's 'N Blues by Ralph Hopper
- Let's Go by Tilden Webb and Cory Weeds [Vancouver]
- The Pour by Ross Taggart and Cory Weeds [Vancouver]
- Open Season by Brian Dickinson
- Ubiquitous by Neil Swainson
- Cedar by Brad Turner
- Spies and Merge by Dave Robbins
- Number Nine by Larry Graves
- Some non-Canadian tunes
- Gypsy Blue and Open Sesame by Tina Brooks
- Five Spot After Dark by Benny Golson
- Alter Ego by James Williams
- Chant for Bu by Mickey Bass
- Hand of Love by Paul Chambers
- Sudel and Big Bertha by Duke Pearson
- Ale House Rock by Rick Hirsch
- Line For Lyons and Festive Minor and Soft Shoe by Gerry Mulligan
- Manaus by John Fedchock
- I Found You, Optimism by Steve Davis [One For All]
- All For One, Blues for All by Eric Alexander [One For All]
- Gregory Is Here, Soulville, Sayonara Blues, Pretty Eyes by Horace Silver
- Blues for T.H. and Nice Groove and Tears Forever by Reed Kotler [arr by Bobby Shew]
- Samba Cya by Gordon Goodwin
- Dance of Denial by Michael Philip
- November Afternoon by Tom McIntosh [Jazztet]
- Totem Pole and Speedball by Lee Morgan
- Wahoo and Sudel by Duke Pearson
- Three In One by Wayne Wallace
Click here to contact me for information, available dates and rates.
[left] A short video of 45north playing at Fatboys Southern Smokehouse in April 2017. Great crowd that night. A couple of solos from 'LeBreton Flats' by Jean [tpt] and Ed [gtr]. [right]A compilation video from our 2018 Ottawa Jazz Festival. Video by Albert Kaprielian
45north at the Ottawa Jazz Festival, June 26, 2018
Click here and let me know if you wish to be on our mailing list so you know about upcoming performances
Upcoming gigs: 2022: NOTE date change
July 21 - Montgomery Scotch Lounge, 750 Gladstone Ave, 6.30 start 613-230-6287 for reservations
FEATURING 75 SINGLE MALT SCOTCHES, INNOVATIVE COCKTAILS, AND DELICIOUS CREATIONS BY OUR INTERNATIONAL CHEF
It feels like it's been forever since we were able to play a live gig so we're going to enjoy this and hope you can join us for the fun. We'll have special guest Paul Adjeleian on trombone joining us. Three horns = great sounds.
http://montgomeryscotchlounge.com/ NOTE there are two locations and we are at the Gladstone restaurant.
Email me for information
A few of our recent gigs:
May 5, 2019, Industria Pizzeria + Bar
Apr 27, 2019, Fatboys Southern Smokehouse
June 26, 2018, Ottawa Jazz Festival, this was a one hour set in Confederation Park - oooohhh was that a hot day! Loved it and the audience was great.
July 1, 2018,Canada Day celebrations in Merrickville. Again, soooooo hot but a great time. Thanks Merrickville
45north performed the opening concert at Merrickville's Jazz Fest on Oct 12. We performed an all Canadian jazz set
May 20, we played at Greenfields Gastro Pub, Barrhaven
April 1, great time at Fatboys once again. A couple of photos below...
December 20, we played at the Rainbow Bistro, Murray St
December 17, we played at Fatboys Smokehouse, Murray St
Dec 11, we played at the Record Centre, Wellington St - see review below...
Sept - Les Brasseurs du Temps - we had a great time playing to a full house
Recording 'at home' as many bands have been doing during covid 19 issues, I've posted [January 2022] a version of 'Search Warrant' below. This is a tune written by Cameron Wallis from Montreal who performs with 'Montreal Hard Bop 5' [MTLHB5]. We were joined on this recording by Paul Adjeleian on trombone.
We were in the studio recording some demo tracks in March 2017 and the results are posted here. LeBreton Flats now posted along with a short version [no solos] of Dissfunktion by Manteca and Honeydew Harbour by David Restivo, a tune on his excellent recent CD 'The Waves' - also Work Song, a tune written by David Braid .
Here's the recordings we have. 'LeBreton Flats' is a full length version from our recording session in March 2017 - a tune written by Rob Lussier. The others here include short versions of 45north performing 'Blue Jeans', another tune written by Rob Lussier who is from Ottawa; 'Honeydew Harbour' a wonderful grooving tune by David Restivo; 'Dissfunktion', by Manteca from their CD 'Onward'; 'Work Song' is by David Braid. 'Stanstill' is a Mike Murley tune .
Open Season [Brian Dickinson] and Blue Jade [Joe Sealy] are off the floor recordings from our gig at Fatboys in April 2019
Most recently [January 2022], here's a recording from our 'at home' sessions of the Cameron Wallis tune 'Search Warrant'.
Search Warrant by 45north.mp3
LeBreton Flats performed by 45north band.mp3
Honeydew Harbour full mix.mp3
Dissfunktion performed by 45north.mp3
Work Song performed by 45north.mp3
Blue Jeans performed by 45north .mp3
Stanstill performed by 45north in head.MP3
Our gig at BDT, Sept 2016
45north at Fatboys Smokehouse, April, 2017
Here are a few short clips to give you an idea about other tunes we play - these are not us but we will have our own recordings posted as soon as we can.
Open Season Brian Dickinson short edit.mp3
Blue Jade short edit Paul Novotny & Joe Sealy.mp3
Fissure by Snaggle.mp3
Intrada by Alan Matheson short edit.mp3
In the Blues Garden by Bill King short edit.mp3
Alter Ego short edit Roy Hargrove.mp3
Here's a few photos from our recording session March 23, 2017. Photos by Albert Kaprielian - official 45north photographer
Ralph Hopper, Ottawa, Ontario, K4C1B8
THE BANDNAME - 45north
Ottawa [city hall] lies at Latitude 45.42N and Longitude 75.69W - so, being based in Ottawa we shortened that up a bit and decided 45north worked as our band name
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1J1